If there is an update to a plugin you are currently running in New Relic, there are two possible options:
- Installing the plugin via NPI (recommended).
- Installing manually by clicking the "Download here" link in the New Relic UI. (not recommended)
Installing the plugin via NPI
In order to upgrade, first is needed to remove the old plugin and then install the new one.
It is also a good idea to make a backup of "plugin.json" file for later use. It will be in a location such as "plugins/com.bluemedora.mysql/newrelic_mysql_plugin-2.1.1_20161220_184408/config/plugin.json" (version number may vary).
Removing the plugin
- If you have the plugin running as a service in the background, you will need to first remove the service associated with the plugin.
npi remove-service com.comtrade.nutanix
- Next, use the NPI utility to remove the plugin from the system
npi remove com.comtrade.nutanix
Installing the new version of the plugin
- Run the command to install the new plugin from NPI.
npi install com.comtrade.nutanix
- The utility will grab the necessary package and ask to confirm if you want to continue. Enter "y".
- Next, you can choose to either edit the configuration file, or choose not to, and edit it later, or replace "plugin.json" with the backup you took earlier.
- From here you will choose to run the plugin as a background process, or run it in the foreground. It is highly recommended to run the plugin as a service.
- Next, you will need to re-enter your Blue Medora license key in the "plugin_license.json" file.