Configuring the Management Pack for Nutanix includes the following tasks:
- Create an Adapter Instance and Credential
- Enable Nutanix to VMware Relationships (vROps 6.0 only)
- Manually Discovering Nutanix Resources (if necessary)
- Validating Management Pack Data Collection
Create an Adapter Instance and Credential
IMPORTANT: As a prerequisite, vROps MP needs to be installed and licensed.
- Log in to vRealize Operations as an administrator.
- On the top pane go to Administration. The Solutions view should automatically open.
- Select the 'Nutanix' adapter from the Solutions list.
- Click the Configure icon (gear). The Manage Solution window will appear.
- In the Manage Solution window, enter the following information:
Display Name: A name for this particular instance of the Management Pack
Description: Optional, and most helpful for describing multiple adapter instances of the Management Pack
Host: The host name of your Prism Element or Prism Central endpoint
Credential: Click the Add icon (plus sign), then enter your credential information (explained below in Manage Credential section)
Collector: Automatically selected
Port: Default is 9440, but can be changed as needed
Promote Disks: Default setting is 'False', which will NOT return disk resources. However, the disk metrics will still be used. Set to 'True' to return disk resources.
Max Events: Enter the maximum events you want returned per collection cycle.
Collect Events: 'All' collects all events reported by the API. 'Unresolved' (default setting) collects only events marked as such by the API. 'None' does not collect events.
Minimum Event Severity: The default (and lowest) setting is Audit. Other options (of increasing severity) are: Info, Warning, and Critical.
Support Autodiscovery: Default setting is True, and enables the adapter instance to create resources for you. If you select False, you must manually discover your Nutanix resources.
Credential Name: Assign a name to your set of credentials
User Name: Nutanix user name
Password: Nutanix password
- Click OK to save your credential
- Click Test Connection to ensure vRealize Operations can connect properly to the system.
- Click Save Settings to save your adapter instance configuration.
Enable Nutanix to VMware Relationships (vROps 6.0 only)
- On top pane select Administration, then click Policies
- Take note of the active policy listed in the Active Policies tab, then click the Policy Library tab.
- Select the active policy you previously noticed.
- Click the Edit icon
- In the Edit Monitoring Policy dialog box expand 5. Collect Metrics and Properties
- Ensure only the 'Property' Attribute Type is selected, then filter on 'mac address' in the search bar (>>)
- In the filtered list, find the ‘Network I/O|MAC Address’ property and change the State field from 'Inherited' to 'Local').
- Repeat previous two steps for ‘management address’ filtering keyword and ‘Network I/O|Management Address’ property.
- Click Save to apply your overrides.
- Allow some time for the network address collection to begin.
Manual Discovering Nutanix Resources
This is needed when Autodiscovery option in Nutanix Adapter Instance was set to false.
- On top pane select Administration
- On left pane expand Configuration and select Inventory Explorer (In older versions Environment Overview) in the navigator pane.
- Under Adapter Instances, expand 'Nutanix Adapter Instance' and select the name of the adapter instance.
- Click the Discover Resources icon (highlighted on the image) to open the Discover Objects window.
In the Discover Objects window, select the following information:
- Collector: vRealize Operations Manager collector (when no additional collectors are configured)
- Adapter Type: 'Nutanix Adapter'
- Adapter Instance: Name of the configured adapter instance
- Discovery Info: 'Nutanix Discovery'
- Only New Objects: According to preference to collect only new or all objects
- Click OK to start the discovery process
- Allow some time for the discovery process to finish. Once completed, the Discovery Results dialog box shows different types of resources
- Double-click each resource kind that contains resources to add.
- Depending on your preference, select Import (resource import) or Collect (import with invoked data collection) option.
- Click OK to close Discovery Results dialog box
Validating Management Pack Data Collection
- On the top pane select Environment
- On the left pane select All Objects at the bottom, then expand the Nutanix Adapter objects list.
- Select desired resource from the list, then click the All Metrics tab to validate values against the data source.